Sunday, December 19, 2010

Episode Whatever: The Short Long List

I went to the store to buy raisins and milk. Seriously, that was all that was on the list.

Well, technically carrots were on the list, because I realized earlier today I was going to be down to -1 baby carrots after lunch tomorrow.

And, I guess apples were on the list, because I realized I was out of apples as well just as I was pulling into my parking spot.

So I'm heading toward the apples and I realize I'm about to run out of romaine mix, and in just another couple of days would be out of spinach... so I added those to the list there in the store.

Right after I picked up the carrots, I saw the bananas, and realized I may as well pick some up, as they'll take a couple of days to ripen, and by then I'll be out of bananas.

Then, I saw the "international" food aisle, and thought I should see if I could find that item that I may or may not have identified correctly from dinner last night. They actually look more like this thing called "bean strings", which I can't find on the internet--or at least on a site in English. I didn't buy any, but going down that aisle led to my remembering I needed some more Pam (the olive-oil variety).

And, as long as I'm getting extra-virgin olive oil Pam, I should probably pick up some extra-virgin olive oil, right? Especially since I'm almost out.

But the next aisle over: raisins. Original mission halfway accomplished!

Once I had that taken care of, I headed off toward the milk--and actually overshot it, which led to an internal debate about buying eggs--and then started looking for those "I don't want plastic or paper" cloth bags, as I'd left all mine at home.

That search reminded me I was almost out of vitamins, and the trip to the vitamins made me go by the toothpaste--and I'm almost out of toothpaste, so...

And come to think of it, I haven't replaced my toothbrush the past four times I should have--or however the math works out on that.

So, to recap...

Original mission: raisins and milk.

Actual purchase: apples, romaine mix, spinach, carrots, bananas, Pam, extra-virgin olive oil, raisins, milk, toothpaste, vitamins, toothbrush. (I convinced myself to hold off on the eggs.)

Also: shopping hungry is hell on earth. Everything bad looked extra-good. I ate an apple on the way home.

Breakfast: Two eggs (one yolk), slice of double-fiber whole-grain wheat bread (I should have gone down the bread aisle to see what was on sale, now that I think of it), fruit smoothie (yogurt, banana), skim milk with whey protein and cinnamon.

Lunch: Salad (cup of spinach, cup of romaine mix, serving of red peppers, serving of grilled chicken, olive oil, balsamic vinegar), carrots, prunes.

Snack: Apple, mixed nuts.

Dinner: Baked tilapia, two servings of asparagus, sharp cheddar cheese, dark chocolate.

Speaking of grocery shopping: They know we know those "saver" cards are to track our purchases and compile data about us, right? I mean, do they think it's some secret? The reason I ask is this: Couldn't they make those automatic check-out things recognize things you purchase regularly and put those on the "popular items" screen so I don't have to search for the Honeycrisp apples every single time? This goes for red peppers, as well. And asparagus. Thankfully, yellow bananas are a popular item

Okay, way too much about a simple trip to the grocery store. Ben & Tricia and the girls went out of town today, so I'm not at my regular Sunday gig. I've opted to blather on in order to keep myself occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment